Health Care and Requirements

Request Info
Request Info
Sebastian in clinic


The University of Miami Intensive English Program prioritizes the health and safety of our campus community. For this reason, the University requires all students to be fully immunized and to have adequate health coverage while they are enrolled.

It is also important to know that health care in the United States is excelllent but costly. Even with private insurance, patients must typically pay a deductible and/or co-pay for most health services. To ensure that all students have adequate coverage, a health insurance fee is included in your tuition and fees every semester. F and J international students cannot waive this fee unless they provide proof of agency or government sponsor coverage that has been reviewed and approved by the University Student Health Center prior to registration.

In addition, all students are required to follow University of Miami COVID-19 guidelines and protocol. Visit the University’s COVID-19 Information website for additional information. If you have any questions, please contact the Intensive English Program at or 305-284-2752.

Open All Tabs
  • Immunizations

    Before enrolling at the University of Miami, all students are required to submit a completed Immunization Compliance Form. This form should be completed by your doctor or health care provider. 

    All new students are required to provide proof of immunization against:

    • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
    • Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis
    • Hepatitis B and Meningococcal Meningitis (or signed declination)
    • Students admitted for the spring semester are required to upload documentation related to the seasonal flu vaccine
    • All international students must be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing page two of the immunization form.
    • Students should also consider immunization against varicella (chickenpox).

    Students who believe that they were previously immunized but are unable to provide proof of immunization may either obtain blood tests confirming immunity or obtain the necessary immunizations. Immunizations and blood tests documenting immunity are available at the Student Health Center on the UM campus. In many cases, however, it is less expensive to do these tests in your own country than in the United States.

  • Health Care

    The Student Health Center is an outpatient medical center located on the Coral Gables campus on the first floor of the Lennar Building at 5555 Ponce De Leon Blvd. If you have UM insurance, you should always coordinate your medical treatment through the Student Health Center. The Health Center diagnoses and treats minor injuries and new or ongoing illnesses. Services include primary care, select specialty services including allergy injections, women's health, and orthopedics, x-ray, pharmacy, advice on health related issues and referral to medical specialists when necessary. All medical information is confidential, and will not be released without the patient's permission or court order.

    If you require urgent medical treatment at night or on the weekend when the Student Health Center is closed, you should visit the nearest urgent care facility or hospital emergency room. If you have UM student health insurance, then your insurance coverage is best through a UM provider. Please see for more information.

  • Student Insurance Plan

    All international students are required to enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance program.

    2021-2022 IEP Student Health Plan: 



    International students sponsored by their embassy must waive the Student Health Insurance Plan because coverage is provided by the sponsoring embassy. 

    Plan Highlights

    Annual Deductible

    • In-network: $300
    • Out-of-network: $750


    • Student Health Service or Counseling Center: $0
    • Primary and Specialist Care outside of Student Health Service: $40

    Out-of-Pocket Maximums*

    • In-network: $5,500
    • Out-of-network: $6,000

    *Includes the deductible, copays, coinsurance, and covered prescription drug copays.

  • Insurance Rates and Coverage Dates

    insurance rates

  • Insurance Cards

    Insurance cards are distributed early each semester, but will not be available until you have paid your insurance charge and all other fees.

    Please update your local address on CaneLink to ensure that the card is mailed to the correct address. Contact United Healthcare at or 1-800-436-7709 if you have not received your card.


    Temporary or Replacement Cards

    Temporary and replacement cards are available via once you have paid your insurance charge and all other fees (you may experience a delay of 2-3 working days until your information is received by United Healthcare). Review these instructions to print a temporary ID card or to request a replacement permanent card. You can also download the United Healthcare App in order to obtain a temporary ID card.

  • Insurance Waivers

    U.S. citizens, U.S. residents, and government-sponsored students with adequate healthcare coverage of their own can request to waive the University-sponsored insurance. However, students with limited out-of-area coverage or otherwise inadequate coverage should carefully review their options before requesting to waive this plan. Requests to waive coverage may be denied if current coverage is inadequate. Health insurance waivers must be submitted every semester.

    Submitting a Waiver Request

    Students must submit a waiver request via the United Healthcare Student Resources Waiver Portal. To submit your waiver, please have your C#, date of birth, and current health insurance ID card ready.

    Students will receive a waiver approval or denial based on their insurance coverage from within 5 business days of their submission.

  • Dependents

    Dependents and spouses of enrollees are eligible for coverage via Academic Health Plans for students who have an active policy with United Health Care.

    Dependents and spouses must be enrolled within 14 days of the policy start date (with the exception of newborns), and enrollment must be for the same coverage period as that of the student. 

    Domestic partners are not eligible for enrollment, and dependents/spouses are not eligible for patient care at the Student Health Service. 


    Enrollment and Care

    Enroll with Academic Health Plan at or 855-844-3001.

    Spouses and dependents are encouraged to receive care from a UHealth or other United Healthcare participating primary care provider.

    UHealth: Call 305-243-2273

    United Healthcare: Visit

  • Counseling Center

    Also located on the UM Coral Gables campus is the Counseling Center. The Counseling Center strives to enhance the opportunities of students to succeed in achieving their academic goals through providing high quality personal, career, and academic counseling and educational programs. They offer a variety of free and confidential services to students including short-term psychotherapy, individual and group, career and educational counseling. The Center also provides assessment services to assist students in their educational and career decisions. Their staff consists of experienced professionals from the fields of psychology, psychiatry, and social work. For more information about the Counseling Center, please visit the Counseling Center website.

  • Office of Disability Services (ODS)

    Disability Services at the Academic Resource Center provides academic services and support to ensure that students with documented disabilities are able to access and participate in the opportunities available at the University of Miami. Documentation is reviewed and accommodations are assigned by Disability Services in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA") of 1990. You may contact them at or (305) 284-2374.